Wednesday, February 13, 2008

US SE RT 08 Conclusion [Part 1]

I have been without internet for quite some time now, so I was unable to give proper updates on how the road trip went. Fortunately, I have it now AND I have all the time in the world to send out the 411 so here it is:


My travels began in Wilmington, North Carolina along the Atlantic coast. The great thing about Wilmington is location. Yes, it has your rows of strip malls up and down the city, but it also has a quaint little downtown area that transforms from antique shops, a used book store, and a great coffee place during the day and a dozen or so bars and clubs at night.

While some people have those cute southern accents, the majority of young people in this college town talk with more subtle regional accents. The most interesting sight in the city is a giant Ron Paul sign in someones front yard along one of the main roads. I wish I had taken a photo, but the majority of my stay looked like the photo above.


On the days that were sunny, I headed out to Wrightsville Beach a few minutes away to study for my internship on the beach. Wrightsville Beach is one of the highlights of Wilmington. Actually, it might be the highlight. Even in January it was gorgeous and breezy. People constantly go for walks along the water and the parking is free out of season.

While I've never visited my brother in the summer, I can't wait to go back after my internship. Surfing is popular along the coast there as is SCUBA. Also, my brother and his boss just opened their tattoo parlor/art gallery there last week and while I saw it right before I came to Texas, I look forward to seeing it after it's been lived in for a few months.

[Photo of shop here.]

No comments: