Monday, January 28, 2008

Fried Chicken Fries???

Driving from Fayetteville to Wilmington in North Carolina along US 87, I stopped for a snack in a mom and pop's gas station. The sign on the builing said, "North Carolina's Best Hamburgers!" Reading this, I had to stop. I went in and there weren't any burgers. There was fried chicken, however. Lots of it. Personally, I'm not big on fried chicken and since I was hoping to eat while driving, fried chicken seemed like a bad choice. I asked the woman at the counter for an order of their fries, displayed in the center of the fried chicken thighs and breasts like some unidentifiable extra chicken appendage.

After getting back in the car and back on the road, I open up the styrofoam container and pull out one of the longest steak fries I'd ever seen. It was a steak fry in the truest sense: literally a quarter of a giant potato was sitting in my hand. I bite in and promptly spit it back out. The fries had been dipped in the fried chicken batter before they were put in the grease themselves. I did eat all the fries and be the last one I had started getting used to the fried chicken-like crust with the mushy potato center. If you're ever on US 87 about fifteen miles outside Wilmington, North Carolina and you see a gas station with a sign for "Carolina's Best Hamburgers," stop in and get an order of fries. They're definately a taste you wont find anywhere else.

1 comment:

TallE said...

Did you try putting the fries in your gasoline tank? Do you think they could power your car?