Thursday, February 14, 2008

US SE RT 08 Conclusion [Part 2]

Saturday, 2 February, 2008

I wanted to start on my trip at noon, but as my brother and I are sitting around having brunch I walk in to his kitchen to find it full of smoke. "Um, Charlie, have you lit anything lately?" Apparently the furnace broke. So after a late start I was on the road to Texas. Along 76/74 there were multiple "Ron Paul for President" signs. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go back up 87, so I couldn't test out TallE's theory of fried chicken fries as gas. I'm sure it would have worked.

Anyways, I wanted to get to Georgia before I stopped for the night, so it was straight on to I-95 and South of the Border with me.



South Carolina was pretty much the same as North Carolina only more southernly.

By the time I got in to Georgia, I was really tired, but I didn't want to stop until I was on the other side of Atlanta. Unfortunately I couldn't make it that far and stopped at a motel near Meriden for the night. Now, I know motels are the butt-crack of overnight lodging, but I think they're pretty nice. The walls are usually sound, the water is always hot, and cheap food is guaranteed to be near by. In this case, the food was KFC. After those fries in South Carolina, it only seemed right. Yes, it was as gross as you think it is. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. After a nice long shower it was to bed with me to rest up for a drive the next day to make up for lost time. (Unfortunately I was unable to get a photo of the GA welcome center because it was too dark.)

No comments: