Wednesday, March 26, 2008

American Tabi

[For those without knitting skilz, this may get boring/technical. For those with knitting skilz, the pattern is still probably going to be confusing. Virb, if you want to make them let me know and I'll send you a step-by-step.]

I finished my first pair of socks this week. I wanted something I could wear around the house since it's always a bit on the cold side what with the wind around here and trying to conserve heat. I also wanted something that would allow me to slip on my flip flops for quick runs to the store. Plus, I got a great pair of hiking boots last month and I only have one comfortable pair of hiking socks. I finally decided on a high ankle wool sock with a split between the big toe and the little toes.

I bought two skeins of Lion Wool from Wally World. Here is the pattern I came up with on US#7 dpns:


[ankle]
CO 40 sts and join
work 10 rows in K1P1 rib
work 10 rows in stock st
[heel]
put front 20 st on holder
work other 20 st in stock st for 15 rows (for heel flap)
K13, turn, sl1, K7, turn, sl1
K8, turn, sl1, K8, turn, sl1
K9, turn, sl1, K9, turn, sl1
K10, turn, sl1, K10, turn, sl1
K11, turn, sl1, K11, turn, sl1
K12, turn, sl1, K12, turn, sl1
K13, turn, sl1, K13, turn, sl1
K14, turn, sl1, K14, turn, sl1
K15, turn, sl1, K15, turn, sl1
K16, turn, sl1, K16, turn, sl1
K17, turn, sl1, K17, turn, sl1
K18, turn, sl1, K18, turn, sl1
K19, turn, sl1, K19
pick up 12 st on each side of heel flap
K from all needles (64 sts total)
K11, dec1, K18, dec1, K31
cont. decreasing at top on heel flap until 40 sts remain

[foote]
K40 in stock st 25 rows
[toes]
next row, K35 then knit CO 6 and join 10st after CO start to create big toe (16 st around)
work big toe in stock st for 9 rows
row 10 - dec every 4 st
row 11 - dec 4 times evenly and BO
pick up 6 st along big toe knit CO
K36 around toes
dec 2 at pinkie toe every other row 4 times
dec 2 at pinkie toe and 2 at big toe once
K last row then use 3 needle BO
fin.

(Note about photos, in the first photo, the little hole between the big toe and the rest is just a loose strand I haven't sewn in yet and in the second one you can see my mom's sweater vest project lying on the floor... waiting for her to send me the rest of the yarn... so close to finished... SEND ME THAT BLEEPING YARN!!!)

No comments: