Thursday, August 21, 2008

Daily Commutes

I'm currently in the process of looking at apartments I cannot afford. Because I am looking at the lower end of the housing bracket, finding conveniently located apartments is difficult since I work at two separate occupations separated by 1.5 hours of trains. One (Job A) of these jobs is consistently 5 days a week, but the other (Job B) is only one day a week with the possibility of more sporadically throughout the year.

I can find a small apartment for under 50000 yen near a train station that is a block away from Job A and an hour and a half away from Job B. There is another apartment twice the size of that one and semi-furnished for a little over 50000 yen a five minute bus ride from Job A and an hour fifteen minutes from Job B.

The question is this: Is a commute of over an hour a few times a week worth it if you're paying low rent on your apartment?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

50k is nothing Genny. I can't stand commuting, so I'd say get an apartment near a major station (i.e. not a local station) and spend a bit more money, but have a lot more time for living and not having the daily stress of commuting in crowded trains. You know how people have already used your upper torso area as a pillow!