Sunday, June 1, 2008

Pride and Prejudice

Riding a train during rush hour is like the worst high school dance ever. At my high school, they'd bus in kids from the other prep schools and cram us all into a space half the size of the gym. It was crowded and hot and thoroughly uncomfortable. You could walk from one side to the other in search of water or light and get groped from any direction. People were so compacted into the space, most of the time they weren't even trying to molest your person on purpose. I'm surprised unplanned teen pregnancy and the herpes weren't more common among the dance-going populations.

So that is what riding a train during rush hour feels like to me. This morning I straddled some "sleeping" guy, gave and received full body feel-ups to at least three men, and had some ten-year-old kid's head fall onto my chest every time he fell asleep. Alright, I think the kid was doing that on purpose. Cheeky.

Needless to say, I like to pretend I'm anywhere else when I ride the train and this is where Pride and Prejudice comes in. Riding the trains, I finally read the whole book. Silently and to myself. Yeah, I'd definitely read it again. Aloud and to someone else. Reading the first few chapters with Molly&etc, the movies seemed to have followed the book "to the T," but then it started to expand and go more in depth than the movies (as books tend to do). I give it five thumbs up. Unfortunately, memorable characters such as Mrs. Bennet were less than memorable when read silently. When I listen to her talk in my head, sure it's funny, but all the people in the train look at me when I start laughing out loud. This is very awkward since there isn't a lot of room for head turning.

3 comments:

Virb said...

genny, i think you should look into becoming the voice of mrs. bennett in a book-on-tape version of p&p.

seriously.

genny w/ a "g" said...

Oh Virb, you flatter me. Thank you for such kind words. Perchance I'll draft a letter to the publishing company saying as much and listing you as a reference. Then the voice of Mrs. Bennett would bring joy and laughter to commuters listening to their mp3 players everywhere!

Molly Moore said...

Genny, I am sorry other people don't understand.