Friday, December 14, 2007

Clothes Shopping in Japan

Yesterday morning I went shopping for some nice clothes for the holiday season, having packed none. Shopping out in Japan is difficult for me due to my height and size. I'm not saying I'm a fatty, but it can be difficult to find well-fitting clothes. I headed out to Machida and went right away to the Gap. Because the Gap is a familiar store, I easily found an appropriate dress in the appropriate size. My problems began only after I bought the dress and realized that now I would need undergarmets as well.

Buying tights in Japan somewhere other than the PX is impossible. I know that there are tall women in Japan. One of my students is 5'10", but how they can find stockings with a crotch that goes past their knees is a mystery to me. As for slips and camisoles, well, I know that these sorts of things are out-dated. I also recognize that I'm a bit of an undergarment nut and that the majority of women my age somehow manage to wear skirts without slips and without feeling naked. I'm not one of those women. I walked around Machida and Sagamihara for hours looking for a slip, resorting to going into stores obviously geared towards the geriatic consumer before finally finding ONE slip and it was PINK. Not cool. Oddly enough, the other week in Tokyo I spotted a young woman on the train platform wearing a slip as a skirt. Either she couldn't realize it was an undergarment or she was staging an homage to 1980's Madonna.

Finally I broke down and went to the PX. They didn't have any slips either. What is the world coming to? We can still buy skirts that stick to our stockings and are so transparent every down-there curve is visible, but we can't buy the proper undergarments to keep us from self-conciously tugging at our hems and avoiding well-lit areas? Do people even remember what a camisole is?

4 comments:

TallE said...

"Do people even remember what a camisole is?"

I was feeling a little shaky on this one, but a google image search was able to jog my memory, particularly the one where it was the only article of clothing and it wasn't quite all the way on either.

Molly Moore said...

"...before finally finding ONE slip and it was PINK. Not cool."

What?!?! PINK all of a sudden equals not cool? I wish somebody would have told me sooner.

genny w/ a "g" said...

Molly, pink only equals cool when other people see it. Kind of like fatal illnesses or deformities.

Cassie said...

You'll never get outdated if you decide to buy your clothes from their japan shopping stores.. It's just that, sometimes, they have this weird combination of colors, but I guess new is good :)