Monday, April 14, 2008

Springtime, running, and shorts

So springtime has finally come around to this quiet little Pennsylvania town. It is a time for change and rebirth. I decided that I am moving back to Japan. This is reason for excitement and anxiety, but goes well with the weather. One of the great things about going back to Japan is the possibility of playing ultimate on the regular again. In May alone there are at least two tournaments going on and I'm in terrible ultimate shape. Obscene amounts of coffee and french fries every day do something to a girl. With that in mind, I've decided to get back into shape beginning with a run yesterday.

Both of my roommates were track runners in high school and college, but I've never been much of a runner. The first spring I played ultimate I sprained both my ankles multiple times so that by the time sectionals rolled around I was waddling around on two kankles with my shoelaces off my sneakers. In fact, the following spring someone video taped our team playing during spring break when my shin splints laid me up for three months. Looking back on that footage, I'm surprised I was ever able to run again.

I digress; back to running now. My roommate was nice enough to let me go through some clothes she was giving to Goodwill and I came across a few runner's shorts. You know the kind: really short with built in undies (spankies). So yesterday, since it was such a fine day, I decided to pull a pair on and try them out. Immediately I was hit with a dilemma: um, is this underwear or not? With the roomies out at a tournament I decided to wing it and just go with what was most comfortable.

Thoughts on the "right" way to dress for running kept me company my entire run. I was quite comfortable on my lower half, but was coming to regret my choice to wear long-sleeved under armour. Why not go with the less-is-more tactic when it comes to running? More skin-to-air contact means a cooler body and doesn't that make more sense in the spring/summer? It slowly became clear to me that men competing in the Olympics went around in the buff not because they were all homosexuals, but because it really was just more comfortable that way. Unfortunately, I don't think running without a sports bra would be comfortable at all. Maybe running in a sports bra and runner's shorts is the way to go. So what if I got a little jiggle in my middle? It's my body, I do what I want.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will be great to have you back in Japan Genny! Can't wait for you to bake yourself a welcome back red velvet cake!

Jason