Monday, November 5, 2007

Leaving for Japan

After sixteen days of sleeping on couches up and down the east coast of US, I'm finally off to Japan. For three months I will be busy mooching off my parents, participating in various sight-seeing activities, and job hunting. For the next twenty hours I will be busy watching television, playing video games, and eating food I can't get at my parent's house. That means Arizona ice tea, Wendy's chocolate frosties, and Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Unfortunately, there are no Dunkin Donuts in Fayetteville, North Carolina (where I am). There are four conveniently located Starbucks within Fayetteville, but no Dunkin Donuts. Shame on you, Dunkin Donuts. Shame on you.

It's not a total loss though, because I'm hitting up two airports tomorrow on my ride over to the far east. Unfortunately, there is no Dunkin Donuts at the Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Starbucks only, again. I have an hour and a half layover at JFK International Airport. With both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, they offer coffee from both the North west and the North east. I'll be getting in at and flying out from terminal 8, but the only Dunkin Donuts there is located before security. So, no dice. Terminals 3 and 6 have Dunkin Donuts within security so I'll have to hop in the shuttle (8+ minutes roundtrip to either terminal). I will then have to find the Dunkin Donuts and get the coffee (french vanilla, hot, extra cream, no sugar) which will take twenty minutes, give or take. That's about half an hour round trip.

So, fifteen minutes to get off the plane, half an hour to get my coffee and back again, fifteen minutes to change my voicemail and hope to get bumped up to business class, and a half hour of watching everyone else board because I was going to be bumped up to business class, but they called my name while I was at Dunkin Donuts and gave it to someone else. Awesome.

2 comments:

TallE said...

I'm glad to see you on your own. Those orpwood people were holding you back. I'm expecting great things. Have a nice time in Japan. I expect we'll be chatting sometime.

genny w/ a "g" said...

Thanks TallE.

To follow up on the above post, I never got to DD at the JFK airport. The shuttle to the other terminals was outside security. I could have gone to a Starbucks, but luckily a found an Au Bon Pain (a Boston venture). So, I guess I'll have to wait a few more months before my next fix.